Wednesday 22 October 2014

The Grandmomster Flash

Those were the days where moms do not need to work, stay home and look after their kids and home stuffs.
And those were the days when moms can sleep as and when they want to after they have done with feeding the kids, doing house chores.
The Maternal Grandma a.k.a Nenek (Malay)
I use to listen to my mom telling me about how my grandma use to take afternoon naps after feeding her kids, the cats after she was done with her house chores. What else can she do? Well, what else would she do?
Those were back in the 60s. Life was much much much simpler then. Knowledge was more like an oblivion- well to some.
They were not from a well to do family, where money was scarce. Everything from books to bajus (clothes) were hand me downs. Husband not always around for them (at least i think so). You see, my late granddad was a merchant from India and he sometimes visit his family back in Maadras. He is always busy with  his small spice shop as well. I am not very sure that he did very well in his spice and groceries business but I did know that he lost one of his valuable property which could have left my late grandma and his children in good hands right now, to his 'most trusted friend'. what i meant by lost it was that there was no legal documents signed during that time, so his friend took that as an advantage, left nothing for my family. Yeap. Those days, people hold on to words too much. Mistakes.
My grandma moved on and she later learned that she should make some money and started her own seamstress line. nothing of a big big business, it was more like a family thing.
sewing for families. Cousins and nieces would let her sew for a price. She was a lucky woman, children grew up well, earning good to look after her well being. She's blessed in that way- very blessed.
I miss her so much - emo -
My Paternal Grandma a.k.a Bohju (Nepali)
This side of my Nepalese family, the paternal side that is,  sailed from India to Singapore. Just to build their business right from the scratch.
This is something my dad never wanted to follow. It was a business of tattoos and merchandise. My dad hates tattoos to begin with. So he took his flight and joined the oil and gas industry.
When my late grandfather died in 1977, he left the business to my grandma. She managed it quite well. Fed her kids with love, luxury and knowledge. Although it was not a multi million dollar business, it was enough to feed everyone in the family of eight. It perished along with her demise. right now, the legacy she left is suffocating and is on a life support. The legacy she left with her two sons, brutally gone down. I guess made the right move.
My point here is, both of them were worked to feed their needs as well as their children and not being one hundred percent dependable on their husbands. With this as my case studies, I conclude that all moms should be making their own money by working, the conventional or non conventional way, be a 'mom-trepreneur' if you can, do what ever possible to save up for those rainy days.
Let's talk about this soon.
See Ya'll Momsters soon.

2 comments: